The Detroit Black Community Food Security Network (DBCFSN) is a non-profit 501c3 grassroots community organization that works to build self-reliance, food security and justice in Detroit’s Black community by influencing public policy, engaging in urban agriculture, promoting healthy eating, encouraging cooperative buying and educating youth and adults about the food system and how it impacts our lives. For more information visit our website, www.detroitblackfoodsecurity.org.
DBCFSN is currently planning a full-service co-op grocery store to be located in Detroit’s North End.
This is a part-time, contractual position that begins February 3 and ends April 11, 2014. It pays $19.61 per hour and contractor is expected to work 20 hours each week. Contractor will be responsible for:
· Planning and conducting eight community engagement sessions for the co-op grocery store.
· Signing up co-op members and receiving member equity payments.
· Creating a data base of community contacts interested in the co-op.
· Sending bi-weekly updates to those in the co-op data base.
· Speaking and distributing literature at meetings of block clubs, community associations, faith-based institutions and other community groups.
· Managing social media related to the co-op grocery store.
· Responding to phone and electronic inquiries about the co-op.
· Developing presentation and materials for community meetings.
· Attending monthly meetings of the co-op advisory committee.
· Compiling a final report on meetings held, members enrolled, lessons learned and recommendations for moving forward.
Candidates for this position must: have experience with community engagement; possess excellent verbal, written and computer communication skills. Knowledge of food co-ops is a plus.
Preference will be given to applicants who are residents of Detroit’s North End.
To apply send a cover letter and resume to:
Malik Yakini, Executive Director
Detroit Black Community Food Security Network
Detroit, MI 48238
Or e-mail to email@example.com.
Application materials must be received by 6:00 p.m., Friday, January 24, 2014.